Voicemail Password Security – International Calling Fraud
International calling fraud is a new scam that could potentially cost individuals and businesses up to thousands of dollars in phone bills. Hackers have figured out how to break into voicemail boxes then use the connection to place costly international calls. Once they gain access to your voicemail, they also have the capability to answer your incoming calls too.
Often times, individuals and businesses neglect to change default passwords for their voicemail and hackers will attempt common default passwords until they eventually gain access. It never occurs to most people that hacking into a voicemail box could result in significant monetary damages. This is a clever scheme, especially for busy businesses that do not typically scrutinize phone logs or patterns, as often times months will pass before victims realize they are being violated. Although it is more likely that hackers will target businesses for international calling fraud, they will also take advantage of individuals as well. Weekends and holidays tend to be the most prevalent days for international calling fraud to take place. The best way to protect yourself and your business from international calling fraud is by following the tips below:
- Always change default passwords given by your provider. Even if you think the default password is complicated.
- Choose a complex password with at least six digits, the more the better. Do not choose successive numbers.
- Change your password often, once monthly is wise.
- When changing your password, review your recorded greeting making sure it is the one you designated.
- Refrain from using predictable passwords e.g. pets, birthdates, etc.
- Scrutinize call logs and phone patterns regularly
- Disable any call features you do not regularly use
- If you or your business does not regularly place international calls, block them altogether.
What to Do if Your Voicemail is Hacked
If you believe you have become a victim of international calling fraud, there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your business in the future. Contact America’s Phone Guys for more information on how to keep your personal or business phone system safe from hackers that are looking to victimize unsuspecting people.