Should I Worry About Surge Protection for my Business?
No matter how far technology advances, it still relies on electricity. It’s an interesting dependency to consider; the aging but stable infrastructure of electricity that supports the cutting-edge systems that are very sensitive to electrical intake. Power surges can be caused by lightning, faulty wiring, utility company issues and even the starting or stopping of heavy-duty equipment on the same circuit. Sadly, many companies do not properly shield their IT equipment against surges. There is more to consider than simply purchasing a surge protector. Here are some things to take into consideration.
What to Look For in A Surge Protector
A solid surge protection system has a few important properties that you should make sure you have.
- Alert lights or sounds should be available to inform you that a surge has occurred.
- Each piece of equipment connected should be able to be turned on and off individually.
- This rules out the standard surge protector strip you can be in your average retail store.
- Fast response time.
- A surge protector should respond in 10 nanoseconds or less. Anything more than 10 nanoseconds could lead to high voltage damaging the system, rendering the surge protector useless.
- It is also important to understand how much energy the surge protector is able to dissipate.
- The higher the number, the better the protection. A good protector should guard against low-level power fluctuations as well as high-energy surges.
Seek Out Surge Protector With A Good Warranty
It is also worthwhile to consider the warranty. Many warranties only cover the replacement of the surge protector if it is damaged. However, a more trustworthy device will often cover damage to equipment connected to it as well. The companies that offer this type of warranty know that their system works well or they would not risk offering such an open-ended warranty, which could result in huge losses, should the protector fail.
Service Entrance Surge Protection
Another excellent solution is a service entrance surge protection. This type of protector is mounted at the main electrical panel at the point where the power company’s lines enter the company’s power grid. This protects hard-wired components such as lights, motors, air conditioners, heaters and switches. Companies that want to be well prepared have both types of protection.
Protect Your Business Against Unexpected Damage Today
Like many disaster-preparedness aspects of business, you don’t think about them or notice them until you need them. Surge protection is an area that is highly lacking in many companies. Take the time to make sure your precious data and equipment will not be damaged by this inevitable electrical event.
Protect Your Business with Surge Protection in Portland OR - Vancouver WA - Oregon Coast
SERVING CLIENTS IN NW OREGON AND SW WASHINGTON