Voice over Internet protocol, or VoIP, is a special type of technology that lets you make voice calls over a broadband connection instead of an analog phone line. It works by converting your voice into small digital packets, which can quickly be transmitted over an IP network.
While your phone’s inner workings may seem like an inconsequential detail, knowing what type of technology you are using can help you optimize your phone system. And, to find the best systems for your company, it’s also useful to know about the different types of technology that are available in the market.
What Are the Benefits of VoIP?
VoIP has become increasingly popular in recent years – and for good reason. This technology can offer individuals and businesses quite a few advantages that may lower costs and make day-to-day life easier. Here are a few of the benefits of VoIP:
- Increased portability: VoIP uses something called a VoIP number, which is entirely portable. This allows you to use the same number everywhere you go, which can be very useful during travel or address changes.
- Larger scalability: VoIP doesn’t require copper wiring, PBX installations, or other expensive hardware to function. Since you don’t need to purchase a lot of new equipment when using VoIP, it is easier to create a larger-scale phone system.
- Advanced features: Businesses with VoIP can take advantage of many advanced features. From call transferring and conference calling to auto attendants and location-specific area codes, VoIP comes with a lot of useful perks.
- Lower costs: Not only does VoIP use less equipment, but it also offers more affordable solutions for international, long-distance, and conference calls. Many providers also aim to provide reasonably priced services to remain accessible to small businesses.
- Improved accessibility: Since VoIPs work using Internet connections, you don’t need to be in one specific location to access the services. Employees can make and take calls from anywhere with a good connection, even using their smartphones or tablets.
- Clearer voice quality: Some VoIP phones have added features like advanced audio compression or noise-canceling microphones, which can greatly improve audio quality. Even without these features, VoIP should function without lags, latency issues, or dropped calls so long as you maintain a stable Internet connection.
How Do I Tell If I’m Already Using VoIP?
If you are interested in accessing the benefits of VoIP, the first step is to figure out what system you are currently using. Your business may already be using VoIP in some form! Here are a few ways to tell if your business is already using VoIP technology:
- You are using an app to make calls. FaceTime, Skype, WhatsApp, and Telegram are just a few of the many VoIP apps on the market. If you make voices on your phone, tablet, or computer using an app, you are likely already using VoIP technology.
- Your phone is connected to an ethernet cord. If your phone is connected to an ethernet cable – often an RJ45 – then it is likely using your broadband connection to make phone calls. Analog phones are typically connected to RJ11 cables instead.
- Your phone goes out during an internet outage. While some analog phones continue to work when the power is out, VoIP phones require internet service to send and receive signals. Therefore, if the internet goes out, then your VoIP phones may stop working.
- You are serviced by a cable provider. Cable providers are more likely to offer VoIP services, while conventional phone providers are more likely to support analog phones. So, if you are serviced by a cable provider, then you might already be using VoIP.
- You are using an ATA box. Analog Telephone Adapters (ATAs) are small boxes designed to convert your voice into data packages. They are used specifically for accessing VoIP technology.
Once you know what technology you are currently using, you can begin searching for ways to optimize your business’s phone system. As VoIP technology continues to improve, more and more people are accessing the benefits that it has to offer.
If you are interested in using VoIP technology or have questions about how you can improve your phone system, the experts at America’s Phone Guys are here to help! Our experienced specialists can help you find effective and affordable solutions to all of your phone needs. Contact us today to get started!
Is My Business Already Using VoIP & We Don’t Know It? in Portland OR and Vancouver WA
SERVING CLIENTS IN PORTLAND OR - OREGON COAST: